Base Oils & Additives Technology Manager
On behalf of our client an international oil company, we are seeking a Base Oils & Additives Manager. The position will be based at the companies R&T center in Italy.
The Base Oils and Additives Manager acts as the subject matter expert on base oil and additives technologies. He/she works as the interface between Refinery to deliver increased value. He/she is responsible for screening, evaluate and technically assess new base oil and additives that can provide a potential future advantage.
- Supports PBOM and Supply Chain as technical expert in base oils and additives
- Works with Global Technology Managers to identify how the slate can be developed toconfer differentiation and competitive advantage upon the range of lubricants
- Works with the Refinery team to develop technically feasible options for enhancement of theslate. Bring forward costed proposals for approval by senior management;
- Supports marketing of base oils by producing supporting test data and approvals, working with the resources, additive companies, and external testing houses;
- Identifies, and carries out basic screening of, third party base oils that may offer cost or technical benefit;
- Identifies, and carries out basic screening of, new additive chemistries or lower cost sources of existing components that may offer cost or technical benefit;
- Works with the Global Supply Chain team to reduce formulation costs and complexity by providing technical input to global RFQs and other procurement exercises.
Key Challenges for this role
- Identifies and assesses potential suppliers of new componentry (base oils, additives) that may give a technical edge or reduce product costs;
- Screens new third party componentry for introduction to product development program;
- Work directly with Group Supply Chain on tenders and implementation of results to reduce cost of goods sold;
- Reduce formulation complexity to reduce supply chain cost and efficiency;
- Works with Global Technology Managers to identify opportunities to deliver reduced costs or performance differentiation through optimization of the base oil slate;
- Works with Downstream to develop feasible, costed options for the optimization of the base slate. Brings forward costed proposals to senior management for review.
- Minimum degree in Chemistry
- Lubrication Science
- Lubricants Formulation & Costing
- Base Oil Chemistry, Manufacturing and Economics
- Lubricant Additive Chemistry
- Commercial Acumen
- Procurement & Tendering
- Stakeholder Management
- Negotiation and communication skills;